PBS Coals, Inc. has its corporate office in Friedens and operates coal mining and processing facilities throughout Somerset County, Pennsylvania. Since it was founded in 1963 PBS has operated continuously and grown to be the fourth largest coal producer in Pennsylvania. PBS has gained the reputation as a reliable supplier of high quality coal to the electric power industry regionally and to the steel industry throughout the world.
We operate 5 surface mines, 5 deep mines and 2 coal preparation plants. The total annual coal production is currently 3.3 million metric tonnes raw coal. Annual breakdown of production: 55 percent coking coal and 45 percent steam coal. Two coal preparation plants, fully operational with an 1,100 raw tonnes per hour processing capability.
2010 production goal: 4.27 million metric tonnes raw coal mined.
Our coal is sold to utility companies located throughout
2010 Projected Sales:
- Coking Coal: 1.918 million metric tonnes
- Steam Coal: 1.569 million metric tonnes
- Total Coal Sales: 3.487 million metric tonnes
50 million USD in capital expenditures
- Wireless underground communications in all deep mines
- Major rebuilds of equipment
- Rail and port facility improvements
- 466 underground mines
- 218 surface mines
- 89 cleaning plant personnel
- 57 admin & engineering staff